AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power Strip and Power Bar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 2/27/2013 17:24 (#2930577)
Subject: Power Strip and Power Bar

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Below in the post about mounting monitors in older tractors, there was discussion about Power Strips.

I believe they are a very good deal. It means you do not have to go all the way to the battery to power stuff.
And it sure makes it easier to put the monitors in or remove them.

However there are some units that should go all the way to the battery. Ag Leader is very plain in stating that their GPS display need to go to the battery, and mine are hooked to the battery.
I am not sure about the other Precision Ag companies, but I would bet they say the same, to the battery.

The John Deere Power Strip will fit in other brands. I see the cost has went up from the $38- I paid for my last one, I think over $50-

They have Always Hot or un-switched power, and Switched power.
All plugins are the John Deere type. There are plugin to adapt to AMP, also the cig lighter type.
No built in fuse or circuit breaker.

There is another device named Powerbar sold by Ag Express. And Shoup has one very much like the Ag Express model, may be the same. And probably others have it.

This model has three AMP ports, and two of the cig lighter type.
It has a switch for the switched power and is fused at 30 amp.
The cost is quite a bit more than the Deere model, about $160-

Top picture is the Deere. Lower the Power Bar.

I wish the pictures were bigger.

For NEIL - I zoomed my download in. It does say Fax Machine in the Deere picture.
Never heard of anyone having one in a tractor.

I used to say, "Does it have a built in condom dispensor?"
Some of these rigs are getting pretty fancy.

Edited by Bobby Greif 2/27/2013 17:45

(image026.jpg)

(pwrbar.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image026.jpg (29KB - 589 downloads)
Attachments pwrbar.jpg (3KB - 554 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NEILFarmer
Posted 2/27/2013 17:34 (#2930593 - in reply to #2930577)
Subject: Re: Power Strip and Power Bar

Morris, IL
Trimble wanted me to go back to battery, AgLeader as well. For stuff like grain cart scale and cameras any of the power strips listed above would be great. Anymore i like to have anything i depend on (GPS, monitor, or rate control) going strait to battery. On our JD 7720 i'm going to have to add a third battery for GPS. Can't get big enough generator to power lights and not draw batteries down enough to cause GPS problems. It always starts perfect in morning and lights will run just fine but it draws down just enough. Last fall i could set my watch from the time i turned lights on and when GPS goes nuts.

In the first picture, does it say fax machine?

Edited by NEILFarmer 2/27/2013 17:40
deereboy8400
Posted 2/27/2013 17:54 (#2930625 - in reply to #2930577)

East Central Indiana

I put the deere one in a 4630...didn't quote the price before i bought it and couldn't believe it was $60. On top of that, you have to buy the adapters for round style 3 pin monitor connectors. For the 4440 i went to menards and got something like this for $8

Edited by deereboy8400 2/27/2013 18:01
deereboy8400
Posted 2/27/2013 18:20 (#2930672 - in reply to #2930577)

East Central Indiana
Admittedly, i had to make several jumpers to make that junction block work, but it's better than paying deere for a powerstrip that has the wrong style outlets.
jr80
Posted 2/27/2013 18:29 (#2930700 - in reply to #2930577)

NECIL
AMVAC says to hook direct to the battery for smartboxes. Anything that is dependent on meeting a certain voltage requirement needs to go to the battery or so I've been told.
deereboy8400
Posted 2/27/2013 18:31 (#2930703 - in reply to #2930577)

East Central Indiana
They're just trying to cover their butts. Using any of these powerstrips or junction blocks won't hurt as long as the connections are clean and you use heavy enough wire. The supply to the power strip/junction block should go straight to the battery.

Edited by deereboy8400 2/27/2013 18:41
olwhda
Posted 2/27/2013 19:00 (#2930769 - in reply to #2930703)

Liberty, MO
SO far this has worked for me, just went to auto parts store they have an assortment of power strips that can be made to work, most you can put a fuse of appropriate amps you want for the load, and here's the sticky part ran a 6 or 8 gauge wire to battery cable on starter with a master fuse here, But need to get a different fuse for "here" 30 has worked so far but need to go bigger, extra lites. planter moniter planter fold control box, FM 2 way radio and 4 pointrow clutches now adding a GPS . 140 amp alternator I think?

Probably not AT approved but no problems yet, BUT if trouble can be had I'd be first in line.
JDPlowboy
Posted 2/27/2013 19:27 (#2930852 - in reply to #2930769)

sw MN

The plug inns can be plugged in back ward on theJD bar.  I have 1 of them for sale for that reason.    1/2 price  My email is good.

I like the Ag Express bar.  No way to plug it in wrong.  Also sold by Shoup.

Edited by JDPlowboy 2/27/2013 19:36
redrider64
Posted 2/27/2013 20:47 (#2931140 - in reply to #2930852)

we have the deere power stips in all our tractors. The plugs have a slot on one side and the other is smooth in order to keep you from plugging it incorrectly. Not sure how you were able to plug it in upside down?
zkeele
Posted 2/27/2013 22:45 (#2931534 - in reply to #2930577)
Subject: RE: Power Strip and Power Bar

Tennessee
As another poster said, the power strips are fine as long as the wire guage is plenty heavy and the connections are good. I'll also add that both constant and keyed connections should go straight to the battery, but the keyed circuit needs a relay to the switch. Both constant and hot should also be fused. Make sure you place your fuses and relays where you can get to them without much trouble.

Trimble used a single cigarette lighter plug to power EZ Guide, Steer, and Boom, so I think a power strip with 12 guage wire will work fine.
hillfarmer
Posted 2/28/2013 05:48 (#2931694 - in reply to #2930593)

NEILFarmer - 2/27/2013 17:34

Trimble wanted me to go back to battery, AgLeader as well. For stuff like grain cart scale and cameras any of the power strips listed above would be great. Anymore i like to have anything i depend on (GPS, monitor, or rate control) going strait to battery. On our JD 7720 i'm going to have to add a third battery for GPS. Can't get big enough generator to power lights and not draw batteries down enough to cause GPS problems. It always starts perfect in morning and lights will run just fine but it draws down just enough. Last fall i could set my watch from the time i turned lights on and when GPS goes nuts.

In the first picture, does it say fax machine?

Don't add a battery ,add a second or bigger alternator
4520jd
Posted 2/28/2013 15:46 (#2932752 - in reply to #2931534)

Hudson, Il.
I agree the power strip will work just fine. It goes direct to the battery. Can't figure how you can plug them in wrong. They are slotted so that will not happen.
KMech
Posted 3/1/2013 18:04 (#2935176 - in reply to #2930852)

Missouri
It is true that they can be plugged in backwards, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Plugged in one way the device is powered all the time.
Plugged in the other way, it's power is switched on and off with the key.

Pick the way you want, and plug it in that way.

I just wish there could be a standardized accessory power plug common to all manufacturers. The closest thing to that is cigarette lighter plugs. They're on everything, but don't carry high amperage, and come unplugged to easily.
Adrian
Posted 3/1/2013 19:05 (#2935290 - in reply to #2935176)

South Georgia
They come unplugged easily, but you're mistaken in that they do carry high amperage. They can heat a cigarette lighter. All I've ever noted were fused at 30 amps.

The plugs that are sold to plug into them are the problem. They're made with practically no contact area, and they fit poorly. The cigarette lighter snaps in pretty securely and with a good connection for heating its coil. Why does no one make an accessory plug that connects as securely?

Adrian
KMech
Posted 3/1/2013 20:09 (#2935486 - in reply to #2935290)

Missouri
That is a neat idea. The cigarette lighter itself has tremendous surface contact for the ground connection, makes much better connection at the positive terminal than the small metal plunger tip on common cigarette power plugs, and without a heating element to activate the disengagement mechanism, would snap in reasonably tight.

I have not seen a cigarette lighter plug that was fused greater than 10 amps. While I think the socket itself could handle that kind of amperage, the wires to the cigarette outlet on all the machines I have had the privilege of being behind the panels on, were no better than 16 ga. 10 amps is all that size wiring wants. Even 15 would be pushing it.

Graingleaner
Posted 4/25/2013 19:39 (#3063002 - in reply to #2931534)
Subject: RE: Power Strip and Power Bar

Ontario, Canada
zkeele - 2/27/2013 22:45

As another poster said, the power strips are fine as long as the wire guage is plenty heavy and the connections are good. I'll also add that both constant and keyed connections should go straight to the battery, but the keyed circuit needs a relay to the switch. Both constant and hot should also be fused. Make sure you place your fuses and relays where you can get to them without much trouble.

Trimble used a single cigarette lighter plug to power EZ Guide, Steer, and Boom, so I think a power strip with 12 guage wire will work fine.

If your EZ Steer still has the cigarette lighter plug on it, do your self a favor and cut it off, through it away, and hard wire it with good quality connectors. Ez Steer doesn't like power interruptions at all. Will eventually cause you aggravation when you don't need it. I speak from experience. Very dependable after the mod.
4520jd
Posted 4/26/2013 10:22 (#3064191 - in reply to #2935176)

Hudson, Il.
I think it is interesting that Ag Leader wants you to go directly to the battery, but when we got a new insight a few years ago ,the wiring diagram for a J.D. sprayer showed pluging into the power strip. Just a thought.
KMech
Posted 4/26/2013 18:08 (#3064690 - in reply to #3064191)

Missouri
From a diagnostic standpoint, it eliminates variables. To troubleshoot electrical problems, I just have to look and be familiar with the Ag Leader system and it's wiring, as opposed to hundreds of possible different makes/model/colors of equipment. Some machines it can take 10 minutes just to find the fuse box without the owners manual, and God help you if you have to find the fuse without knowing the circuit number.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)