AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Craigslist scam!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

StuffbreaksDad
Posted 2/12/2013 19:06 (#2894695)
Subject: Craigslist scam!

NE OH
Recently ran across the deal of the century, 2008 JD 5425 4wd with a loader for $9200. Huge scam, email address is [email protected]. Watch out folks.

This is the reply I received for the "seller"

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my tractor (2008 John Deere 5425). I sell it at this price ($9,200 - this is my bottom price) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. It has only 80 hours. The tractor is fully paid off, clean title. I have title in hand. The tires are in very good condition. It has the following features: Diesel, Dual Remotes, Syncro Shuttle, Barn Kept, Mowed Only, Never Field Work, Bought New, Front Wheel Assist, Firestone Radial Tires, Grill Guard, 542 Loader.
This tractor runs as good as a new one and has no dings, dents, or scratches. The divorce has finished 6 months ago and the tractor is mine now. After the divorce I was forced to buy a new house. Following the financial crisis I can't afford to pay the bank and I decided to sell the tractor. As you can see from the pictures, it's in excellent condition.
I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town right now so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my tractor over the Internet. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the tractor and only if you agree to buy it). We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated with eBay and I have a purchase protection account. The last price for this tractor is $9,200. I will pay for shipping and handling (the loan of my previous buyer didn't get approved, so, there won't be any additional shipping costs). If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Kind regards,
Nancy

After responding to this, you receive

Hello,
The tractor is already at the shipping company. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm out of town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my tractor over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the tractor to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
-Full name and shipping address.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the shipping process and the arrival time.
4. eBay will start the shipping process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the tractor. After you receive the tractor you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the tractor. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment through eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the tractor, then eBay will ship the tractor back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
Kind regards,
Nancy

Notice the poor grammar and the lack of referring to you by name. My gmail identified the sender as a Karen Daniels, not the stated Nancy Anderson which is also a clue. I guess if a deal sounds too good, it is!!! Good luck this spring and be safe!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Greasemonkey
Posted 2/12/2013 19:20 (#2894737 - in reply to #2894695)
Subject: Re: Craigslist scam!

SE SD
Wow, when did tractors start coming with titles. I'd jump all over that if I was you.
deeremania
Posted 2/12/2013 19:20 (#2894740 - in reply to #2894695)

SW Minnesota
Wonder how many poor suckers they actually scam? Not to hard to tell it's a scam. "Title" for a tractor?
Jack_wabbit
Posted 2/12/2013 19:31 (#2894770 - in reply to #2894695)
Subject: Craigslist is full of these types of listings... n/t

Be careful.
Polar Bear
Posted 2/12/2013 19:40 (#2894797 - in reply to #2894695)

NE Indiana
A friend of mine had the exact same deal except it was a Bobcat mini excavator. Located in western Mi. Wanted him to use paypal. He said no, I'll bring cash when I pick it up. Said no. Only Paypal!!
ccjersey
Posted 2/12/2013 19:45 (#2894812 - in reply to #2894695)

Faunsdale, AL
Same exact language except selling a Honda Accord.
showboat
Posted 2/12/2013 19:54 (#2894850 - in reply to #2894695)

Same exact language advertising a JD 8220 with 2600 hours for $15,000. Weekend before last on the Western Kansas Craigslist. showboat
iseedit
Posted 2/12/2013 19:55 (#2894854 - in reply to #2894695)
Subject: RE: Flag it ~

central - east central Minnesota -

That is what the "Flag" posting is for -
It's easy to know those type of postings are scam and easier to flag . .. . .

150pilot
Posted 2/12/2013 19:57 (#2894862 - in reply to #2894854)

New London, Wisconsin
No wonder Nancy is divorced. ;) Still... it would be fun to see a tractor title.
150pilot
Posted 2/12/2013 20:00 (#2894871 - in reply to #2894862)

New London, Wisconsin
I remember when I was in high school, a kid in my class had his Dad "go away" for awhile. Seems he had figured out a way to market dozers that didn't have titles either. He got to learn a new skill making license plates.
farmer52
Posted 2/13/2013 05:34 (#2895722 - in reply to #2894854)

Canton, OH & South Central PA
Craiglist is a farse. I have flagged several ads and they never get deleted. Also, I have seen identical ads posted in several cities on CL. When I try to post an ad, it will not let me post a duplicate in another city. Double standards on CL so I do not recommend or use CL. Tough to sell on the internet with SPAM everywhere.
iseedit
Posted 2/13/2013 07:36 (#2895879 - in reply to #2895722)
Subject: Re: Craigslist tricks ~

central - east central Minnesota -

farmer52 - 2/13/2013 05:34 Craiglist is a farse. I have flagged several ads and they never get deleted. Also, I have seen identical ads posted in several cities on CL. When I try to post an ad, it will not let me post a duplicate in another city. Double standards on CL so I do not recommend or use CL. Tough to sell on the internet with SPAM everywhere.

It takes a couple "flagger" to get a post removed.
If you want to post to different cites, in same state (or different states), you can't copy past. You have to retype the complete ad (unless they have changed formate just recently).
I post ad's in 3 different cites and a different state and have no problems, unless I try to copy past the info.
Craigslist is great and isn't full of scam's - There are scam's mixed in it, but, generally, they are easy to spot.
The biggest part of an ad on craigslist - phone number. If it has a phone number and YOU block the abality to communcate via email, it's pretty easy to do business. I never allow follow up via email. If I want to sell something, I list the location, price and phone number. I add disclaimer, no sales calls to pay a third party list my item for a fee also. Those that call on my item seem to like that feature. They know right up front what my price is (no tire kickers) and aproximent location for them to help with travel.
Criagslist is just too darned good, for what it offers.

farmer52
Posted 2/13/2013 09:45 (#2896116 - in reply to #2895879)

Canton, OH & South Central PA
No copy and paste. Always retype the subject and ad...will not let me post identical ad in more than one city. They only way I can post is to change the title and some of the words in the ad.

I agree...if you want "serious" replies...don't opt for email reply...instead put your phone number. Price and location are also important. I see ads of interest but they do not list a location...so I pass them by (same with price). If they post $1 then I expect to only pay $1.
slowzuki
Posted 2/12/2013 21:05 (#2895147 - in reply to #2894695)

New Brunswick, Canada
We get those flooding the classifieds up here too. They used to set the prices so low it was just click report and be done, now they set the price about 2/3 of what it should be so you have to get the scam email from them telling you the item isn't where the ad says it is etc. I wonder what they would do if you use the other scammer technique back on them, I will pay but have to pay more and if you could send me the balance back while you wait for my bogus payment to bounce that would be great.
durallymax
Posted 2/13/2013 00:07 (#2895619 - in reply to #2894695)

Wi
I remember seeing similar ones awhile back using eBay business or some BS. Basically they set up a phony website that had the look and feel of a legit eBay site for money transactions. It basically just had you wire money through western union which then sets it off as a scan as eBay doesn't do that. The guys were claiming to ship the vehicles via military transport services as they were in the armed forces.

Tractors are easy for the people. they may not know them well, but farmers and the elderly are the easiest to scam because they have too much trust and faith in people. which is not a bad thing, the bad thing is people take advantage of it.
durallymax
Posted 2/13/2013 00:08 (#2895620 - in reply to #2894695)

Wi

I remember seeing similar ones awhile back using eBay business or some BS. Basically they set up a phony website that had the look and feel of a legit eBay site for money transactions. It basically just had you wire money through western union which then sets it off as a scan as eBay doesn't do that. The guys were claiming to ship the vehicles via military transport services as they were in the armed forces. Tractors are easy for the people. they may not know them well, but farmers and the elderly are the easiest to scam because they have too much trust and faith in people. which is not a bad thing, the bad thing is people take advantage of it.

durallymax
Posted 2/13/2013 21:53 (#2897678 - in reply to #2894695)

Wi
There is a reason craigslist is free. simple, but use at your own risk. I would never go without craigslist.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)