AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reinke Pivot VS Valley update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dalobe01
Posted 1/27/2013 22:23 (#2854962 - in reply to #2854336)
Subject: RE: Reinke Pivot

David Loberg Northeast Nebraska
We own 24 Reinkes, and erect them for a local dealer. I personally love Reinkes. They are a lighter pivot by raw materials, but feel they are engineered very well. I've yet to see a structural failure on one that wasn't caused by operator error. They leave less of a track than other systems I feel. Our oldest is a 1976, and the newest one last fall. We've always gone chromium nickel pipe, the corrosion resistance is awesome. Since our last one, they've introduced galvanized corten...which is what my next one will be. The corosion resistance plus no paint issues. Panels are a toss up. We run standard RPM, Pac timers, and the touch screen. I'd either go standard panel with a remote control product, or a touch screen. The touch screen has amazing programming abilities, and is super simple to navigate/set up compared to a PAC timer. If an electric pivot, you can set up custom watering schedules even. The GPS is a nice addition, much more accurate for endgun/stops than the traditional star wheel on the center point. In our area, silty loam with rolling hills, we run impacts or overhead 3000 rotators. They are cheaper than drops, don't have streaking issues in tall corn, and spread out our water pattern to allow infiltration. The rotators will require more sprinklers, but will give a nice even application with little wind drift. Tires...go new, the retread 11.2x24 will save you a few bucks, but will regret it. They are a truck casing with a heavy tread, and I've seen countless treads come apart on long spans after a few seasons. The flat towers you'll be fine with 11.2x24s, the terraces you could run 38s to give you clearance in the corn and helping climb the terraces. I also recommend 25.5:1 centerdrives compared to 40:1s. They're so nice when combining or spraying and that pivot can't move out of the way fast enough. And as far as the the whole gearbox debate...yes, Valleys are probably better. But at the speed they move, water will be the only thing that destroys them. Keep them full of grease and empty of water, and a center drive and outer gearbox will go forever. Plus you'll save about 20 grand ;)

Edited by dalobe01 1/27/2013 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)