AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forklift Propane Tanks ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SFO
Posted 1/24/2013 01:37 (#2845459)
Subject: Forklift Propane Tanks ?

Findlay, Ohio

Where is a good place to buy 30 lb propane tanks for a forklift? New or used.

Edited by SFO 1/24/2013 06:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerald J.
Posted 1/24/2013 02:01 (#2845467 - in reply to #2845459)
Subject: Re: Forklift Propane Tanks ?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#propane-tanks/=l65vdn has them. Will take plastic, likes to think they are selling to an industrial company. Prices probably middle of the road, not too great, not too horrible. You sure you need 30 gallons, not 30 pounds? McM has aluminum and steel. 30 gallons would be 3 times as big as their biggest one, or could be 21" diameter and 3' long or the apparent standard 12" diameter and 8 feet long.

Otherwise your local LP supplier ought to have such tanks on hand or can supply them.

Gerald J.
Turkeyboy
Posted 1/24/2013 03:19 (#2845482 - in reply to #2845459)

sw MI
We have two lp powered forklifts for our apple packing/storage. Our propane supplier owns the tanks (30lb) and just does exchange once a week. We use 10-15 per week during busy season. We don't get charged rent unless its just built into the propane price. I'd just call your propane supplier.
Mike SE IL
Posted 1/24/2013 04:48 (#2845499 - in reply to #2845459)
Subject: RE: Forklift Propane Tanks ?

West Union, Illinois

I think what you want is normally called a 33 pound motor fuel tank.  It holds about 7 1/2 gallons of fuel  The other common forklift fuel tank is a 44 pound tank.  It holds about 10 gallons.

You may be able to rent or buy one from your LP supplier. As mentioned McMaster-Carr has them. But so does Amazon and Ebay. Another source is ProTank (that is where the fitting photos below come from).  I've not dealt with ProTank personally, but experience has taught me it may be worth a little more talking to someone with experience at stuff like this.

There is getting to be a demand for propane motor fuel tanks for off-road 4wd vehicles, because it is a better fuel choice for that use than gasoline. The system is sealed and works at awkward angles

Tanks are made of steel or aluminum.  Steel weighs more but is usually cheaper.  Here is a new steel one listed on Amazon right now

A new Worthington steel cylinder is usually $150 - $220, depending on supplier and shipping.  One of the little things to watch for is the fittings. The gotcha to watch for is fittings.  If it does not include the motor fuel adapter

you just spent another $15-$25

The tank listed on Amazon includes the motor fuel fitting (the one your hose adapter screws on to) and a fill fitting (the big fitting an LP truck can fill). Those 2 little items are worth $30-$50 depending on where you buy them. Speaking as a guy who fills forklift cylinders for folks once in a while, that fill fitting

is nice to have.

You can buy tanks on ebay as well. There is a current listing on ebay for new tanks for $150 shipped. BUT it does not show and does not state what fittings are included. And like anything else on ebay you have to really pay attention.  I bought a used aluminum tank through ebay with the fittings at a very good price.  When it got here I found it did not have a gauge.  It works fine, we fill it by weight or spit gauge, but it is a bit unhandy.

Shipping is a big thing.  There is a listing for new 33# tanks with all the desired fittings for $120.   BUT the fine print is they will not ship, local pick up in El Monte. California only.  Of course, that does make the trip to California in January a business trip ...

Used tanks are sometimes a lot cheaper, but I don't think they are supposed to be shipped with any hint of fuel in them.  Even, maybe especially, the smell.There is a listing on ebay right now of two 33# tanks with  $60 Buy It Now price. BUT you have to pick them up in Gray, Georgia. And the gotcha with used tanks is the date.  The tank and the relief valve both have the mfg. date stamped in them.  After ... I think it is 10 years but I'm not certain off the top of my head ... the relief valve needs replaced.  After 12 years the tank needs requalified.  Not a big deal, but just another hassle and possible expense.

OH! And a big thing with a new tank is it MUST be purged before filling. Blow the air off, pressure it up with propane vapor, blow it off, and repeat 2-3 times.  This is where the ASME fill fitting is nice.  I can use an adapter to do it through that valve quickly.  The supply valve has a restriction in it so if there is a leak it doesn't leak as quickly.  It also makes purging the tank a real pain.

Edited by Mike SE IL 1/24/2013 05:10
tomram486
Posted 1/24/2013 05:18 (#2845512 - in reply to #2845499)

Thanks for the information on tanks.

I did see something that I thought was impossible. Fiberglass propane tanks. At least you can see the amount of propane left and different colors.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lite Cylinder LC-20-00 Composite See-Through Propane Tank, 5.39 Gallons Capacity, White Amazon.com Industrial & Scientific.htm (403KB - 2739 downloads)
Mike SE IL
Posted 1/24/2013 05:23 (#2845516 - in reply to #2845512)

West Union, Illinois

Fiberglass propane tanks are not only possible, but nice in a couple ways.  They are lighter and you can see the liquid inside. But I don't think they are approved for forklift use.  And probably cost more

edit:

but I may be mistaken.  Saw this at work today

Edited by Mike SE IL 1/24/2013 17:57

(IMG12279_Vga.jpg)

(IMG12280_Vga.jpg)

(IMG12281_Vga.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG12279_Vga.jpg (44KB - 390 downloads)
Attachments IMG12280_Vga.jpg (47KB - 378 downloads)
Attachments IMG12281_Vga.jpg (52KB - 372 downloads)
farmboy78
Posted 1/24/2013 08:31 (#2845861 - in reply to #2845459)

ec illinois champaign
SFO,,you have mail
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)