AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Take me to school on Jake Brakes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John..neAR
Posted 1/7/2013 20:51 (#2806715)
Subject: Take me to school on Jake Brakes

Caraway, AR

Just bought  an 07 Freightliner w/MBE 4000 an 10 sp w/ JB. I've made a turn or two with a jake,(another truck a few years ago) and I thought I knew how to operate jakes, but I'm begining to wonder.

When you have the switch on and shift (either with or without the clutch) the engine instantly goes to idle, (has no wind down what so ever), like the jake is working even when the engine isn't hooked to the trans....this makes shifting very difficult.

Should I have to turn the jakes off with every downshift, or is the the clutch supposed to disengage the jake when it is touched. Or....is the jake supposed to enguage only when the brake peddle is touched. Maybe the brake switch is bad...............

Educate me,

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jodan
Posted 1/7/2013 20:58 (#2806750 - in reply to #2806715)
Subject: Re: Take me to school on Jake Brakes

Bardstown, Ky
You have to put your foot on the clutch just enough to make the switch work, don't depress the clutch just barely put your foot on the pedal and the switch will turn off the jake.
earp
Posted 1/7/2013 20:58 (#2806751 - in reply to #2806715)

Manila, Ar
jake switch has to be on and desired setting.........jake should engage when de'selerating........from what i remember......:)
emtbd1979
Posted 1/7/2013 21:00 (#2806766 - in reply to #2806715)

west central illinois
Your jake shouldn't work with the clutch depressed. I do not use the clutch to shift so I leave the jake off unless I need it. If your cruise control switch is in the on position your brake pedal will engage the jake. Hope this helps.
Fawazhay
Posted 1/7/2013 21:04 (#2806784 - in reply to #2806715)

Northern CA
The jake switch on the throttle will also keep it from engaging if you don't take your foot all the way off the throttle.
mkurkowski
Posted 1/7/2013 21:06 (#2806788 - in reply to #2806715)
Subject: RE: Take me to school on Jake Brakes

Ogallala,NE
when downshifting (always without the clutch) i use the accelerator to match the engine speed to the transmission speed. if everything is working correctly, when you touch the accelerator pedal the jakes will go off. once you've shifted into the lower gear, let off the accelerator and the jakes will resume.

to the best of my knowledge, the only way to smoothly downshift a roadranger is to rev up the engine until the engine speed matches the tranny speed. once you reach this point, it will fall right in gear. if you don't use the accelerator while downshifting, you shifting is always going to be pretty rough.
olwhda
Posted 1/7/2013 21:11 (#2806804 - in reply to #2806788)

Liberty, MO
I leave my jake and exhaust brake (Volvo) turned off till I really need it usually,but sometimes have it on with cruise control so it will engage when speed picks up going down hills., I have an Eaton-Fuller Autoshift 10 speed and I don't like how hard it shifts when I get below 7th gear.
John..neAR
Posted 1/7/2013 21:35 (#2806914 - in reply to #2806715)

Caraway, AR

OK, the jake even works when the truck is sitting still in neutral. Rev the engine with the accelator...let off and it instantly goes to idle. I mean no wind down whatsoever.

I'll try all this again tomorrow, but I think there is a switch bad somewhere.

Or maybe it is set to speed shift and I havn't learned the trick yet. >:)

Thanks all,

John

4WD
Posted 1/7/2013 22:01 (#2807008 - in reply to #2806914)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

John..neAR - 1/7/2013 20:35

OK, the jake even works when the truck is sitting still in neutral. Rev the engine with the accelator...let off and it instantly goes to idle. I mean no wind down whatsoever.

I'll try all this again tomorrow, but I think there is a switch bad somewhere.

Or maybe it is set to speed shift and I havn't learned the trick yet. >:)

Thanks all,

John

When I first read your complaint, I first thought about programming, OR how it is "set". I think you need to talk to an experienced mechanic or foreman for that engine model.

I have heard, about such programming, that they use the jakes to quickly lower engine RPMs, so a person could "Upshift" into the next higher gear, BEFORE you lose too much road speed, if climbing a big hill or mountain pass(but you still had enough accelaration that is was worth the upshift)

I've also heard, that if there was too much "rotating mass"; like a really heavy flywheel and clutch assembly, that the engineer's needed to activate the jakes/engine brakes to slow down that "mass" so a driver could upshift, BEFORE he lost too much road speed.(If an engine design/rotating mass didn't allow it to coast down, quickly enough, for "normal "shifting)

pete37921x
Posted 1/8/2013 00:32 (#2807244 - in reply to #2806914)

NE SD
Speed shift? Super trucker wanbe lingo. Have never heard of such a setting. I think the truck is operating as it's set to. If the jake is on (active) why shouldn't the engine go to idle?
mike in sw mn
Posted 1/7/2013 21:37 (#2806922 - in reply to #2806715)

Walnut Grove MN USA
Jakes work differently depending on truck and engine. In some it will only come on when the brake is depressed, others will come on when switch is on and throttle is at idle. IH's with Cat engines will kick on the fan as well as the Jake. I leave Jake switch off till I need it.
farmermatt
Posted 1/7/2013 22:22 (#2807077 - in reply to #2806715)

West Central Missouri
If the switch is on and you remove your foot from the accelerator with the engine revved up it will kick in and bring it back to idle very quickly. If you leave your foot on the pedal just a bit it will not engage

THIS TAKES PRACTICE!!!!

I never shut my switch off
KevinBfromIllinois
Posted 1/8/2013 15:26 (#2808307 - in reply to #2806715)

RINGWOOD, IL
I personaly think Jake brakes are just toys for little boys to bother people when they aren't needed, I do know there is a time a place them in emergency situations but to just annoy people is not one of them.
milofarmer1
Posted 1/8/2013 16:38 (#2808415 - in reply to #2808307)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
KevinBfromIllinois - 1/8/2013 14:26

I personaly think Jake brakes are just toys for little boys to bother people when they aren't needed, I do know there is a time a place them in emergency situations but to just annoy people is not one of them.

I guess I don't consider saving brake shoes as annoying people. What is annoying about using jake brakes is when truckers remove the muffler system. Just like guys riding loud Harleys.
KevinBfromIllinois
Posted 1/8/2013 20:10 (#2809016 - in reply to #2808415)

RINGWOOD, IL
Yes you correct on that i ride a Harley but respect my neighbors and residential areas.
AggieTeacher
Posted 1/8/2013 20:30 (#2809085 - in reply to #2808307)

East Texas
Ever try going down a 6 percent grade for several miles with out a jake.
KevinBfromIllinois
Posted 1/9/2013 14:10 (#2810684 - in reply to #2809085)

RINGWOOD, IL
Yes I understand what you are talking about but what I am talking about are the cowboys that take off there mufflers and race up to stop signs just to p--- people off and annoy them at all ours for no reason.
milofarmer1
Posted 1/8/2013 16:36 (#2808411 - in reply to #2806715)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
John..neAR - 1/7/2013 20:35

This is completely normal on some models. If you don't want it to do that you have to turn the switch on the dash off, or hold your foot on the accelerator slightly, or change the ECM programming.

It is helpful sometimes when you are unloaded and want to skip gears, but it takes practice.
clevepreach
Posted 1/8/2013 20:04 (#2808996 - in reply to #2806715)

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS
On every truck I have ever drive that had a jake if the jake switch is on the jake will function unless either the throttle or the clutch is depressed. This includes Cat, Cummins, and 60 series Detroit in Navistar, KW, and Freightliner trucks. When upshifting without the clutch it's a lot easier if you turn the jake off. If you're using the clutch it doesn't matter whether the jake is on or off. The same is true when downshifting. Exception: I would often leave the jake on when downshifting on a steep uphill grade so that the engine rpms would drop more quickly enabling me to complete the shift sooner. Also, about the only time I ever used the clutch was when starting from a dead stop. That's my experience. Perhaps someone else has had a different experience.
Plowd
Posted 1/8/2013 23:00 (#2809604 - in reply to #2806715)

The engine brake is working properly. If I'm not mistaken on the Mercedes engine's they have Pac brakes on them and they don't give the loud exhaust rumble like the Cat's, Detroit's, and Cummin's engines. Atleast that is the case with our Columbia's with Mercedes, and we have over 20 of them.
John..neAR
Posted 1/9/2013 07:08 (#2809910 - in reply to #2809604)

Caraway, AR

Is there any preventive maintance that you do to them at 7-800K mi that I should know about.

Thanks, John

John..neAR
Posted 1/9/2013 10:50 (#2810370 - in reply to #2806715)

Caraway, AR

Well, I asked ya'll to take me to school and you have.
After driving the truck again with ya'lls advice in mind I have come to the conclusion that every thing is well.
I still would have thought the jake would have worked by touching the brake pedal slightly.
As several of you said.......practice practice.
Thanks to all,
John

Edited by John..neAR 1/9/2013 10:52
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)