AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding liquid fertilizer to planter
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GREEN FARMER
Posted 12/25/2012 13:41 (#2775146)
Subject: Adding liquid fertilizer to planter

central mn
Looking at adding liquid fertilizer to a 7000 deere six row, what would be the best way to do this? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dave F
Posted 12/25/2012 13:55 (#2775164 - in reply to #2775146)
Subject: RE: Adding liquid fertilizer to planter

Southeast MN
How much do you want to spend? If low gpa, you could get away with one tank on the planter, an electric pump and control the speed and pressure if you wanted. Or saddles on the tractor or 3 point and run with a spray monitor or ground drive pump.

There are about as many ways to do that as there different products to apply. How many gallons per acre and do you have any existing sprayer equipment to use to control the planter setup?
GREEN FARMER
Posted 12/25/2012 14:14 (#2775181 - in reply to #2775146)
Subject: Re: Adding liquid fertilizer to planter

central mn
Low gpa, just starter, don't think my sprayer control will work to well. Just looking to do something until I can justify a 12 row.
TMX864
Posted 12/25/2012 14:44 (#2775211 - in reply to #2775146)

Michigan
Electric pump. Can have the On/Off switch in the cab or mount the a whisker switch on planter to kno when you put the planter down. Plump a return line with a ball valve on your out going line. Simply adjust your valve to provide you with the right amount of pressure for your application rate vs your ground speed.

MNRRV
Posted 12/25/2012 15:20 (#2775245 - in reply to #2775146)

Edge of RRV MN
F/S manufacturing -West Fargo, ND - has a very economical kit that uses electric pump and in-cab pressure kit with on off switch. We used this on a 12 row planter for many years with no problems putting on 6 gpa of starter. Speed pressure works just fine on a planter as you typically travel a set speed and do not vary.
exit
Posted 12/25/2012 15:21 (#2775246 - in reply to #2775146)

Athens, Ga
we put saddle tanks on tractor, roller pump on pto with an electric valve so we can control pressure in cab...
17821x
Posted 12/25/2012 15:28 (#2775258 - in reply to #2775146)

NE Iowa
Most people plant at a set speed so an electric pump and a simple orifice works good enough and no need for controller. The simplest way to handle the orifices is with teeject orifice plates that get installed in regular sprayer boom nozzle bodies:

http://www.agrimart.net/brands/TeeJet.html

I think the #30 gets you around 5 gallon per acre in 30" rows at 5 mph. You just put the orifice plate and an adaoter that connects to 1/4" tubing in the place where the spray nozzle normally goes. Then run the line back to a totally tubular or keeten seed firmer. You can set yourself much cheaper yourself than buying a ready made kit. I started with a wisker switch but like just an on / off toggle switch better. I had a hard time finding the hose shank to nozzle body adapters at first but most places have them:

http://www.sprayers.com/2011/26-29.pdf
4 row cattle
Posted 12/25/2012 15:38 (#2775266 - in reply to #2775146)

Northern Alabama
we were dry and switched to liquid. we found some old tank brackets on a john deere yard, bought some new tanks and put this john blue squeeze pump on it for 2+2 . the small tank we had laying around and sprayer specialties sent us an in furrow fertilizer kit that they had on sale.

(WP_000601.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WP_000601.jpg (48KB - 841 downloads)
denny-o
Posted 12/25/2012 18:36 (#2775542 - in reply to #2775146)

Michigan - Saginaw County
Converted my 7000 six row to liquid. Three tanks, two for starter and one for pop up in place of the dry boxes.
Two DC electric pumps. A pair of speed controllers in the cab with pressure gauges for the pumps .
I plant at a fixed speed and control the flow rate (fixed also) with the pressure.
The manager at the sprayer place where we bought the parts calculated the diaphragms and pressures for us. Then I checked the flow rates with a calibrated cup.
He was very close on his calculations - within 5 psi.
You will need a bypass line and valve on the output side of each pump to control surging and oscillations.
A red ball flow manifold for each.
We completely rebuilt the 7000 with all new moving parts, disks, bearings, bushings, gauge wheels. And we added the 20 20 Precision Planting electronics and their PP finger meters.
A whole lot cheaper than a new planter.
Now, send me some rain so I can actually grow some corn.
mutt
Posted 12/25/2012 20:43 (#2775800 - in reply to #2775146)

nw kansas

This would be an auto system with a 12 volt pump, no guessing and can change in the cab, best bang for the buck and easy.

http://www.jdskiles.com/autotrolii.html

deere6810
Posted 12/26/2012 06:22 (#2776245 - in reply to #2775146)

what kind of money did you spend to convert to liquid, some times you can trade just as cheap for a planter already set up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)