AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Handeling House Renters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tim4870
Posted 12/5/2012 12:20 (#2734285 - in reply to #2733925)
Subject: Re: Handeling House Renters

Southern MN
You must get the receipt to file the expense on your taxes (assuming you're going to pay for it). No receipt, no payment. I would let the renter know, in writing, that no future changes are allowed without your approval. Provide the renter with 2 or 3 phone numbers to call, you, your wife, your relative, someone you trust to not spend your money foolishly, and make sure those phone numbers are posted somewhere where the tenant cannot claim to have lost them.

I agree the person sounds like a handy man, but apparently he cannot wash dishes in the sink for a day or two which is very sad. If my dishwasher broke down, I'm sure we would use the sink for a few days while we shopped for and installed a new dishwasher.

I've dealt with a similar situation, and I've learned that if you give some tenants an inch, they will take your wallet and spend your money as if it was theirs. For example, sure you can paint the bedroom, next thing we know were getting a bill for painting the entire inside of the house when we never even agreed to pay for the bedroom paint. Or, we'd like to add a garbage disposal, cost is X. Then when its done we get a bill for 2X. We offered them X or take the disposal with them when they leave. They didn't take X when we offered it or the disposal when they left. I learned my lesson and no longer own a rental house.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)