AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK base station mounting question...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 12/4/2012 23:23 (#2733503)
Subject: RTK base station mounting question...

East Central Ia
I am investigating whether or not I want to get on the IA CORS network or install my own base.

I am trying to figure up all the costs and need a little help with some details. The bases I have seen all have the base station mounted in a nice open location that sends data via radio to a near by repeater setup on a tall structure. I understand that this is so the base station is perfectly stationary. My best place to mount something is on top of a 250k bu bin. The bin is 66' to the eave and is on the same ridge line as a nearby cell tower so I have great elevation for it. My question is can I mount the base on top of the bin and save the money of buying a repeater with a sturdy structure like this or am I still best off to mount the base on the ground on a concrete embedded post and rebroadcast the data through a repeater with the antenna mounted on the bin? I would guess by the time I make a nice setup with the cabling and box to mount everything in I would probably have close 5k tied up in the repeater setup.

I need an RTK base for tiling one way or another. I am just trying to decide if I should go cheap and just get a portable setup for tiling and put my farming operations on CORS, or if I should spend the time and money to setup a whole farm system. I would still move the base in the field for tiling if I was more then 1 or so miles away, otherwise I would leave it on its fixed mount.

I am leaning towards the Outback A320/321 setup as it will work nicely with my Ag Leader equipment.

Edited by bleedred 12/5/2012 00:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)