AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody read the article in NE frmer magazine bout feeding cattle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Austin
Posted 12/4/2012 15:42 (#2732754 - in reply to #2732727)
Subject: RE: Anybody read the article in NE frmer magazine bout feeding cattle?

Garrett County, MD
I would agree with the general idea of what you said, although I would like to point out that there are many crop farmers who work hard. I would say most of them that I know. I, for example, started my operation from 150 tillable acres, no machinery, no cattle, no shop, no elevator, no trucks, very little money etc... and have done pretty well for myself. I work 80-100 hours per week. My father works 80-100 hours per week. We have 3 employees that all work 40-80 hours per week depending on time of year, it keeps us very busy. And this is year round, seven days/ week. Corn and beans. We do have some beef cows on the side, but they take up very little of our time. We do all operations in house, no custom operators. We do not have very much fancy equipment. I have yet to meet these crop farmers who only work 5 days a week, six months out of the year.

"Our society is not setup to reward those who work hard and take risk and farming is no exception."

I agree with that statement. But I feel that I worked hard, and continue to do so, and I feel rewarded. Most days....

Then again maybe I'm doing something wrong and I should only be working 5 days a week, six months of the year, taking home 100K.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)