AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody read the article in NE frmer magazine bout feeding cattle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 12/4/2012 15:16 (#2732727 - in reply to #2732636)
Subject: RE: Anybody read the article in NE frmer magazine bout feeding cattle?

Southern IA
never seen the article, but $/hr I earn, there is no comparison to crops compared to cattle, but cattle are in my blood and that is what I do and will do until like the hogs there is no real market left. Think about it, a lot of crop guys have pretty decent line of equipment, they really only have much work to do April/May/June for planting and spraying and Sept/Oct/Nov for harvesting/tillage/fertilizer and a lot of mid size guys hire the spraying and fertilizing done If they farm 1,000 acres and profit $100/acre they make a $100k salary for working 6 months a year. Now how many cattle do you have to feed a year to make $100k/year and if you are going to do it you will be working 20hours/day 365 days/year with 10x the stress of the guy farming 1,000 acres working 10 hour days 5 days a week for 6 months. Seems most the crop guys are 2nd and 3rd generation silver spoons taking over the reigns from their dad and have plenty of family ground from great-grandpa or are very aggressive young guys chasing investor money working on thin margins. Now if you feed cattle, by the time you retire you got a bunch of wore out equipment and lots or buildings that need rebuilt and no real assets to retire on. Our society is not setup to reward those who work hard and take risk and farming is no exception.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)