Over in Stock Talk there has been lots of talk about feeding Barley to cattle so it has brought up some questions in my mind for you guys in Crop Talk.
1) I live in South Eastern Illinois, can barley be grown in my area?
2) I assume that barley can be grown like we grow soft red winter wheat, but does it need any special considerations, such as NPK, Ph, etc?
3) Are than any hybrids that are better than others for feed?
4) Is the remaining straw good for straw or maybe a low quality hay like oat straw?
5) Can it be used as a nurse crop and about what time of year is it harvested?