AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 2610H bearing problems (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 12/3/2012 11:18 (#2730462 - in reply to #2730405)
Subject: Re: JD 2610H bearing problems (pics)

It's hard to turn the blades because the opener is always pushed against it. The first one that went bad, we had no idea until it started pushing some dirt in stead of cutting trash, at that point the bearing had already gone to pieces and it had cut in to the shaft and into the main arm that holds the row unit. Nothing looked crooked, it worked and sealed fine until that point, the ground looked the same behind it.

They are not like a smooth coulter on a plow where you can spin it and see how it spins or if it makes any noise about the only way you can tell they are getting loose is to move them back and forth sideways. The one's in the pictures all were still tight and we could not tell anything was wrong with them, but I think you will agree they were so far gone it would not have taken much more and they would have been going to pieces. We took these apart because of the problems with the other 2 row units and the shape they were in. After the first one we thought maybe a bearing didn't get packed good from the factor, when the second one got loose a day later and Kyle took it apart and we saw what kind of shape it was in we just tried to nurse it along until we finished the job we were on and got to the wknd to tear into it.

The pictures I posted are just the way they came off the machine, some have a little grease on them, some are pretty nasty with dirt. Even the better looking one's needed to be replaced in my opinion. I don't think any of the bearings are in good enough shape to repack and reuse. Probably none of the races either, I always figured if I put in a new bearing because of wear the race should be new also.

We put one new arm on the machine last week and it had a grease zerk going into the hub where the spindle and bearings are at so they can be greased. I think they all should of had the zerk on from the beginning. It's the same concept as the 1890 drill opener only larger with more strain on the parts and the 1890 has had grease zerks on them as long as I've owned one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)