AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop Door remote openers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/3/2012 07:50 (#2730084 - in reply to #2729993)
Subject: RE: Shop Door remote openers

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My new shop door came with its own remote system and two remotes.

These remotes were a single button type. Pushing the button caused the door to competely cycle from open to closed or vice versa. Although this worked I desired to have more remotes and the ability to stop midcycle as well as control the shop lights.

I made my own system with some parts ordered online to accomplish the above goals. I bought a four channel receiver and lots of remotes from Carl's Electronics. This new system is completely independent of the original remote system. The original remote system still performs as it idid.

This receiver has the ability to work with four channels. Each remote has four buttons on it. Each channel has individual options such as Normally Open, Normally Closed, Momentary or Continuous.

Each output is a relay that can handle a reasonable amount of current. I have Channel one (OPEN) set as Normally Open, Momentary, Channel two (CLOSE) set as Normally Open, Momentary, Channel three (STOP) set as Normally Closed, Momentary and Channel four (LIGHTS) set as Normally Open, Continuous.

The wiring is a bit confusing to explain in words, but amounts to Channel one (OPEN) and Channel two (CLOSE) being wired in parallel with the corresponding terminals on the wall mounted button switch. Channel three (STOP) is wired in series with the stop loop on the wall mounted switch.

The lights are a bit more complex. I replaced the regular light switch by the door with a three way light switch. I also wired in a DPDT contactor that acts as a second three way switch. This contactor is controlled by Channel four of the remote. The contactor was necessary as there are several lights on that circuit.

Although this may sound complicated, I have been very pleased with the results. Any of the functions can be controlled by any of the remotes (the originals still work although I don't use them) as well as the light switch and wall mounted switch for the door.

I like the ability to stop the door midway for running a short vehicle in/out, saving the heat in winter and the cool in summer. I also like the ability to control the lights in the shop. Stopping the door midway may get me in trouble someday but it hasn't happened yet.

When coming home at night with the combine, it is particularily nice to be able to hit the UP button and the Light button as I pull in the Driveway. The open door with good lighting makes it very easy to pull in and get out of the combine.

This remote system uses a rolling code so that other openers will not interfere with its operation. This was not a big issue for me but it works fine. The system can handle up to 16 remotes and they use commonly available batteries. I don't remember how many remotes I ended up with but I have one in about everything with an engine such as my car, pickup, lawnmover, atv, combine, trucks, etc.

I would think that such as system would be available for those not wanting the joy/frustration of trying to do it themselves. If the STOP function and LIGHTS are not needed then the system could be of a simplier design.

The links in the above post may well handle your needs nicely and appear to be quite reasonable.

Edited by tedbear 12/3/2012 07:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)