AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Continous No-Till Soils Developing an "Acid Roof" ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TrentonKY
Posted 12/3/2012 20:25 (#2731263 - in reply to #2730208)
Subject: A reply to all comments:

Trenton, KY
Thanks for the answers and explainations guys! The acid roof theory does make sense in a true no-till system, matter of fact I think it might explain something that we have wondered about since this spring.

When we finished our second shot of liquid N on the wheat about March 12 we had about 200 gallons of 32% left in the semi trailer, so rather than taking it back to our fertilizer dealer we ran it over into the sprayer and I streamed it onto double crop soybean stubble that was going to corn. I applied 180 N and I flagged where the 60 ft pass started and ended, so we wouldnt forget and sidedress the same area as well. We had a rain that night and we no-till planted the field on March 29. Right to the flag the corn that had the N surface applied had a yellow cast to it, and it didnt look normal till after tassel time. We were wondering if the liquid N had pruned the roots, and while I guess its possible that it did I am also wondering if it didnt make the surface acidic and that effected the young roots?

Either way, we are doing some soil testing this winter and I think that for the heck of it I'll take a 2" core composite sample of a couple of fields just to look at.

We have been fertilizng by soil test and I too believe we will be making a shift to fertilizing by removal and also a yield goal for different management zones. We have sampled all of our ground on an acre grid pattern and have discovered that our best ground has the lowest fertility, but looking back in time these areas have always consistently produced 1/3-1/2 more than the average, and it shows in the lower fertility numbers.

I also have begun to wonder if we should be looking at applying lime every two years and applying less with each pass so we could get a more consistent release?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)