AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brazilian Corn Conundrum | Huge Corn Production Potential Exists if Hurdles Can be Cleared
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

haymaker
Posted 12/3/2012 23:47 (#2731745 - in reply to #2729113)
Subject: Porous soils

NE Colorado

I was in Western Bahia once and the soil there reminded me somewhat of the blowsand I am so used to here. I even saw some sandburs, though they varied somewhat from what we got.

My main crop is alfalfa. Why? For several reasons, but a very important one is because it makes its own nitrogen. And when a 3" rain comes, I don't have all of that expensive store bought nitrogen leaching out of the root zone.

I could see why soybeans were so popular there, they don't have to worry about losing their N to a big storm, which I am sure occurs far more frequently than at home.

Yes, I do grow corn on my blowsand but spoonfeed most of the N through the pivot. I can't take the chance of putting even half of it on preplant. Not on sand. 

The Midwest with its good soils may not have much of an advantage over them on the legume soy, but on corn I see no way they can even come close to competing, the soils there are just too porous. 

Edited by haymaker 12/4/2012 00:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)