AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody know much about the new Surface from MS?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 12/2/2012 07:17 (#2728089 - in reply to #2727139)
Subject: Re: Anybody know much about the new Surface from MS?

Doc Holliday - 12/1/2012 13:40
Chimel - 12/1/2012 14:52 The Surface Pro specs and design are much better than the iPad.

Uh huh. As long as you don't want to admit they are two similar looking devices designed for different things. And if you don't want to compare screen resolution, battery life, weight, heat, price, app selection, app design. and so on.
An iPad with 3G or 4G and a $3 remote desktop app will do everything the Surface will do and still have access to hundreds of thousands of apps that were actually designed to work on a touch device. And won't die after a few rounds in the tractor without being plugged in.

I am not comparing them, just saying that the Surface Pro is the most powerful tablet there is.
Just like the iPad seems to be the best ARM tablet there is, probably better than the Surface.

Of course, the Surface Pro technological choices come at a price, you can't pack the latest Intel i5 processor and not halve the battery life compared to an ARM processor (basically, a mobile phone processor). But the only reason you would buy a Surface Pro is not to run just ARM (Metro) apps, but all your current Windows apps without having to purchase all your software again, if it even exist as ARM app. By the way, far from being just "specialty" apps, it's all the apps a current Windows user will have, including games and many professional apps like ag or accounting software.
Even as far as ARM apps are concerned, I am not 100% sure, but I believe there were more Metro apps available at the Surface launch than at the iPad launch. At least Microsoft boasted of tens of thousands of Microsoft and third party apps available.

If the screen resolution is lower to spare the battery life, the screen itself is bigger and widescreen for real HD.
The entry level Surface Pro has the same storage than the most expensive iPad 4, and can double it.
It also has SD card and USB 3.0 for expansion.
Overall, it does have better specs and design.
It could still be a flop though, at this price tag and if developers don't follow. We'll see.
Microsoft still has the option to lower the price if the Microsoft Store brings in the money.
After all, they did the same selling each xBox at a loss and making their money on the games instead.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)