AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for ride from Seattle, Wa to Wilburn, Wa.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chimel
Posted 12/1/2012 13:09 (#2726887 - in reply to #2726257)
Subject: Re: Looking for ride from Seattle, Wa to Wilburn, Wa.

People in Seattle and Finland have much more in common than you think, they are both hard core coffee drinkers! ;)
I had several Finnish colleagues (and from most European countries too) over the years, mostly in Dublin. Everybody used to bring back and share some of their national specialties. I am French myself, but never made it as far north as Finland.
Mustard? But that's French! ;) What makes the Finnish one special? French mustard is mostly of 2 kinds, the strong mustard from Dijon, with vinegar and sometimes white wine, and the whole grain mustard, with brown and yellow whole seeds added. There are several flavored mustards too, with tarragon, roquefort cheese, etc.

Haha, I doubt truckers take hikers because of company policies and insurance, unless maybe some independent drivers, but small planes or seaplanes are very popular here, it may be another interesting way to hitch a ride or travel, with beautiful views on top. I have no clue how to contact these plane owners however. Maybe contact the airfields or airports? There's 4 or 5 of them in Wilbur or within a few miles. Car rides from Seattle are more likely to be Priuses than pick-up trucks...

The Columbia river valley might be a bit far away, but it has the finest Riesling vineyards in the U.S if you have time. I don't know if the wineries are located there though. Columbia and Chateau Ste Michelle wineries both have vineyards there, but their main wineries are 20 miles north-west of Seattle, in Woodinville, so that might be a better option since you'll be in Seattle too. They're really worth a visit. You can even make your own tour, taking a cab or hitching a ride to the place, visiting both wineries by foot since they're just 20 meters across the road from each other, with a few beer microbreweries around too. An aged Late Harvest (CSM) or Cellarmaster Selection (C) is a real treat, but they have many other (mostly) white wines too.

That's as close to the Irish "pub crawls" they have here in Washington. The Finns always managed to beat even the Irish at their own game. The Dublin version of the pub crawl is, you take the DART train north of Dublin to the south, stop for a pint of Guinness at the local pub in every station, next thing you know, you're swimming naked in the Irish Sea with the guillemot penguins eating your puke...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)