AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

after the advice on wheat for bread, first attemp.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MTfarm
Posted 11/30/2012 19:30 (#2725597 - in reply to #2724413)
Subject: RE: after the advice on wheat for bread, first attemp.

Shelby, MT
http://www.wheatmontana.com/recipe_detail.php?id=36
John posted this recipient on here but here is what I did so I could adapt it to a bread machine.

1 package of rapid rise yeast
1/2 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup water
1/2-3/4 tablespoon shorting
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon black strap molasses(just because I didn't have regular)
1.5 cups scalded milk
3 cups of the wheat flour we ground up

I put the rapid rise yeast in the bottom of the machine. Then added the flour, salt and then the water. I think I then sprinkled the 1/2 package of active dry yeast on top. Next I scalded the milk and the mixed in the honey, shortening, and molasses into the hot milk. I waited for the milk mixture to cool to the lukewarm or slightly higher. Then dumped that all in the machine and turned it to the manual cycle where it just kneads it and let's it rise once. Then I took it out of the machine and kneaded it for a minute or two and then put it back in the machine and ran the manual cycle half ways till it mixed and everything was warmed up. I turned off the machine and let it rise to the top of the can. Then I took it out and swished it hard into and ball and formed it long and pressed it hard in the bread pan. I had the oven heated to 100 degrees and let it rise. The. Cooked it at 350 for 30 minutes.

This was my first try and I had read that whole wheat needed double kneading so I did. The recipient said 1 hr and 10 minutes cook time but at 30 I got nervous and it was close, maybe I should have gone 5 more.

I am no expert and it was the first try. I liked the bread but wish it was sweeter and will try the suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by MTfarm 11/30/2012 20:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)