AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay grinding vs processing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

trmbldealer
Posted 11/29/2012 18:21 (#2723762)
Subject: Hay grinding vs processing

The thread below got me thinking. I guess im a 'part timer' with 50 cows and a full time job to boot. Always fed in rings for years and still will some in the future i think. Question i have is this, started doing corn silage now for the 2nd year. Gluten got too high. Fed loader buckets full last year and it worked ok but made for a lot of trips back and forth with the loader tractor (not that far from the pit to the field). I bought a kelly ryan feed wagon and am going to try grinding hay and layering in silage in the feed wagon. Has anybody tried unrolling hay or using a processor like 'billonthefarms' below insted of grinding hay? Looking for simple here. Does it really need to be gound up? Must help it mix a lot better i guess. Mabey i am way off base but thought this could work. Seems like all this work will make my chores take longer but will do a much better job in the end. I don't think i could stand to wait on the vertical mixers i have seen run. I guess its the whole diesel fuel vs waste like proud2Bafarmer said below. We do have a few custom grinders in our area, never used them yet. Ok blast away!

Edited by trmbldealer 11/29/2012 18:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)