AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plowing With GPS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 11/29/2012 19:33 (#2723879 - in reply to #2723663)
Subject: Re: Plowing With GPS

Elmira, Ontario

Sat - 11/29/2012 16:48 ... I'm switching tractors and will be using row crop Cat set to 120" centers with 16" tracks so gonna try to drive in furrow and see what happen...think that will work with a auto steer ? or will it be fighting the furrow ?

You can try it and see. My experience in a number of situations was that the in-furrow track has less traction than the on-land track. If it gets wet, you spin out in the furrow and the tractor steers onto the plowed ground. The other issue is the tractor is more sensitive to improper plow adjustment than MFWD. If you don't get the plow centred just right, it will try to crowd the tractor to one side. Both issues are made worse by the fact you can't really feel the tractor climbing out of the furrow, so you have to watch more carefully.

The 120" gauge might help overcome both problems. The widest gauge I tried in-forrow plowing was 90". 

I'm not saying it won't work (there's a lot of variables), but I definitely had much better success plowing on land with those tractors.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)