AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pigtails, Poly, & Cornstalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshuaGA
Posted 11/29/2012 20:53 (#2724043 - in reply to #2723073)
Subject: RE: Pigtails, Poly, & Cornstalks

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
If you do, you need to be in the habit of walking or riding your fence at least every other day. Soft ground in a corn field and pigtails are not an ideal combination. Works okay, but it needs to be checked regularly, also need to be spaced closer, no more than 12 paces apart. I use polywire, don't buy the cheapest off the shelf, you wont be happy if you do. Look for wire with a large number of wires. Stainless is good longevity and decent shocking, tinned copper shocks harder but not quite as long lived. I want to try to rotate wire out anyway, couple of years in the weather and it develops shorts in it, usually discovered at 3 in the morning with the herd out. Keep in mind to never pull wire tensioned through a sharp corner with your pigtail posts, as it will eat the plastic off the post followed by your fence grounding out. I generally handle temporary corners with a small toothpick type wood post with a split ring screw in eyelit. Usually use a bit heavier 4"-5" wood post to hold my reels, just wrap a loose ring of barb wire around a post and staple at appropiate hieght.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)