AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This "politically correct" crap is getting out of hand
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 11/30/2012 20:27 (#2725704 - in reply to #2725034)
Subject: Re: This "politically correct" crap is getting out of hand

North of London
OK I understand BUT not sure you are correct about unemployment insurance.
If you are paid a wage then a deduction will be made for unemployment and if you are laid off you can collect.

Works for any wage earner but business owners or self employed people are not eligible to pay or collect.

There was a 'scam' going on a few years ago with incorperated farms 'laying off' family members in the winter and having them collect employment insurance. Think somebody pointed out to the right people that they then showed up to do voluntary work on the farm.

Not sure how easy it is for farm workers to collect now.

When I was young, many years ago now, i used to get an off farm job usually on construction as soon as fall work was caught up.
Had employment insurance deducted from my pay but was never able to collect because I was considered 'self employed' since I was farming.
Think the rules were changed since then so someone who worked for a paycheque off the farm is able to collect when laid off even though they still farm. May be rules as to farm income or something, not sure. Have not worked for a wage for many years now.

The recent immigrant driving the gravel truck will have been paying into the insurance fund from each pay cheque so is able to collect when he is laid off. Can collect for a few months, think the limit is less than a year???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)