AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thanks google earth, you gained me some land!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Redman
Posted 11/28/2012 19:12 (#2722007 - in reply to #2721903)
Subject: Re: WILLY NILLY FENCES.

SW Saskatchewan
Are common in ranching country wherever it may be. In homestead days they hauled in a load of posts along a ridge that horses could travel and that became the fence line. Made sense then, still does under most conditions.

But over in the east central area of sask. conditions ahve changed since 1960, the old farm cattle herd is gone. First the best parts of the pasture were cleared and land farmed, then came the 80's and a lot of the land went back to pasture, some was sold to foreigners from Alberta etc and it probably will continue in pasture. The farmer owned was re-broken when the conservation easement expired.

But by then it became easy to drain excess water down the Assiniboia and down to Manitoba where it was deeply appreciated. More land was cleared and now those old fencelines that followed a wandering ridge through the swamp suddenly were obviously no longer on the property lines.

Now comes the time to re-align- but things are not always as they seem. One of our fields were a rod out of true on the mile, so was my cousins across the fence. It was always assumed that my father had smoothed out the line to his advantage- but then a section peg was found and the other end of the field was out by the rod. Good laugh at my cousins expense but the fenceline is still in the same place-just handy.

When a fence has served its purpose, take it down and set out some monuments so the line can be preserved-but don't leave an inch to grow gophers,grasshoppers and weeds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)