AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle Or Chickens
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshuaGA
Posted 11/28/2012 20:05 (#2722122 - in reply to #2721300)
Subject: RE: Cattle Or Chickens

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Having a little experience, chickens have been good to us, but now is not the time, and unless you have about 3/4 of a million dollars to spend, I dont reccomend it at the moment. ROI is simply not there for it. I wont say it is a bad business to be in, as we for the most part have enjoyed it, but the indentured servant comment is pretty close to the truth, and if you want to be your own boss, that isn't happening. Honestly, cows have much brighter prospects IF YOU ARE WILLING TO MANAGE IT. By which I mean, a good working facility to manage cows (Castrate/vac/tag/etc), managed grazing, pasture improvement, etc. Cows are an amazing animal, they will live on most anything, but you will, in my opinion make the most of your money in pasture improvements. Good grasses, clovers, legumes, and temporary pastures, in a managed rotational system will make money for you. Now, here is another thought for you, if you considered chickens you might as well consider a dairy. Not a barn based confinement dairy either, but a pasture based dairy. Obviously it is no magic bullet, very few things are, but I truely believe that a well planned well laid out pasture dairy has the potential to be profitable enough to provide a comfortable living with relatively little investment. If you had an older barn in a good place that would be a canidate for remodeling, you could get by without spending a fortune, or you could build a simple post barn to house your parlor, you really wouldn't need much else other than calf facilities and working facilities. If you were a seasonal dairy, you could calve out starting in March, and dry off end of December and have a small vacation even. Lots of resources out there to check out. Here is one to start. http://www.forgraze.com/dnn/

Edited by JoshuaGA 11/28/2012 20:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)