AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mental health day off
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 11/28/2012 00:17 (#2720840 - in reply to #2720760)
Subject: RE: Mental health day off

Southeast Wyoming

bhageman - 11/27/2012 21:29 I am not one to take a day off work. Seems like this year has been more stressful then the past few have been. Just a little back ground I am married and have two boys 5 and 2. I work for another big farmer neighbor. I have my own farm of 1200 acres and do the majority of my dads field work. I'm on the fire dept and local coop BOD. Quess my question is does anyone else get that overwhelming feeling and just want to run away for a few days and tell everyone to deal with their own problems for a few days? It just doesnt seem to end anymore the phone just ring off the hook all day long everyday. My boss seems to come and go no matter if it's harvest planting os fertilizing season and just leaves me with everything by myself at a drop of the hat. I love my family and job but then is enough is enough? I am really thinking about hopping in the pickup and just take off for a few days and leave the phone in the tractor. Has anyone else done this?

I have thought about it at times but had no idea where I would go.  Prayer helps me set my priorities.  I'd suggest that you have a serious talk with your partner in life and make sure she knows what is going on in your head.  And then visit with the boss.  A good boss will understand the pressure.

Take some time off, whether it is days or hours or brief moments during the day/night.  Don't answer every phone call and ask the wife and boss not to call "needing something" unless it is an emergency.  I suspect that you can relax better being close to your family and your work than you can being far away.  Be there for your family and let everything else ride for a while.  Keep the phone for those encouragement calls you should be getting and making; communicate.

When I first bought a belt trailer and began working the sugar beet harvest, the guy I was hauling for wanted the trucks to work until 1 or 2 am and be in the field by 6 am.  I did it for a few weeks and one morning just was not up to it.  About 6:30 I got the call.  I told him I'd be there when I was rested, the truck would do neither him nor I any good laying on top of me in the borrowpit somewhere.  He didn't care, just demanded I get to the field (yeah, you know the type).  I went to the field when I was rested.

As the provider for your family, your health must be your primary consideration.  Re learn how to say no.

Edited by Gary Lyon 11/28/2012 00:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)