AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding hay in rings (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/25/2012 22:41 (#2717270)
Subject: Feeding hay in rings (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

As discussed below, at current hay prices and short supplies, most of us are trying to stretch winter hay as far as we can.

I was out checking on some bred heifers and cows this afternoon. I am really pushing them to "clean their plate" before putting out more hay while keeping a close eye on their condition heading into Wisconsin winter. Looks like ground is now frozen until spring after a warm Thanksgiving day.

Here are a couple pictures from around two of my more standard hay rings I use in addition to the cradles.  I don't put out more until I can see the ground inside a ring. I will also roll the rings out of the way so they can get the last of it on the ground.

Considering there have been several 1500 to 1700 lb 5x6ft bales in the two rings pictured, there really is not much on the ground around them. And most of what little is on the ground will get eaten before I put out more hay.

As discussed with Feelnrite, nothing like being short of hay as a learning experience in how to stretch it.

The cows and heifers have also been grazing around the woods for anything green to graze. Overall their condition is getting better after weaning the calves a month ago. 

By the looks of how a few are digging into the bottom of those rings, I think they have gotten the message they better clean their plates...

This number 13 heifer with a lot of white is one of my few registered heifers. The others are all commercial.

I really like the red Applegate 2-piece ring. They don't seem to loose eartags and appear to be able to get in further to clean up the last of the hay in the bottom. These are 8 ft diameter rings for 6 ft dia bales.

BTW the revised long term winter forecast for Wisconsin is colder than normal from now on with normal snowfall.

Jim

Edited by Jim 11/25/2012 23:04

(IMG_1492_cleaning their plates before more 112512.jpg)

(IMG_1488_cows at hay ring 112512.jpg)

(IMG_1490_bred heifers 9 and 13 at hay ring 112512.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1492_cleaning their plates before more 112512.jpg (89KB - 201 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1488_cows at hay ring 112512.jpg (88KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1490_bred heifers 9 and 13 at hay ring 112512.jpg (87KB - 190 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)