AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanted: decent laptop for very basic things
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 11/25/2012 15:09 (#2716206)
Subject: Wanted: decent laptop for very basic things

Iowa
My wife wants a laptop to take to the lake so she can do PC Mars accounting when she finds a bit of time there rather than to have to come "home" to do it. Last summer she came home early several times to do her accounting and would rather not--hence the need for a laptop.

Her needs are very basic: PC Mars accounting, email (Microsoft Outlook), and internet--(but NOT You tube/movies). I suppose some pictures, although she doesn't have over 10 pictures total on her desktop PC. She does not have a facebook account or anything like that. At least a 15" screen, maybe a 17. A decent screen she can see outside in the shade. Compatibility with her desktop PC is important--she wants to be able to do a month's worth of accounting on her laptop and somehow "get" that info back to her PC once she gets home. Durable, as it will go back and forth weekly--then again, she is not hard on things, it will just set on the car seat while going back and forth, I suppose in some sort of padded case.

We do not have wifi at the lake, but do have a Verizon Jetpack hotspot we take with us that works well--that would be her internet set up.

We thought this weekend would have been a good one to purchase something, but we know so little we can't make an informed decision, so we came home empty-handed. Price is secondary to durability--we don't want to over-buy but if one brand is $100-$200 more but doesn't crash or act up nearly as much--that would be the one we'd get in a heartbeat.

Any help with either brands or internal components: intel vs others, amt of Ram, etc, would be great. Pretty sure we want windows 7 because we have that on both computers at home and we don't want to learn windows 8, and there might be compatibility issues having some of both.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)