AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Cotton Variety performed the Best? or worst?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 11/26/2012 00:34 (#2717459 - in reply to #2716262)
Subject: Re: What Cotton Variety performed the Best? or worst?

Texas
In west texas we have seen varieties perform better that we're more suited to a hotter dryer climate in most years while every now and then we get a variety from east of the Mississippi that work well. I think the hot dry climates and cooler summer nights coupled with high wuality have been a couple of reasons why fiber max has been so successful here. It is also my understanding that DP 1044 and 1219 came out of Arizona and Texas breeding programs.

We can't seem to get away with some of the longer season varieties either. Most people don't like a hairy leaf variety either. Strippers tend to get higher leaf grades if its not defoliated properly.

One of the big areas that the seed companies are working with here is water use. They are trying to get the most yield out of varieties under different irrigation regimes. I know that they have found some varieties that fit well across all irrigation regimes. They may not be the highest in each situation but they do well across all.

West texas used to be a one variety fits all. Mostly older paymaster varieties. Now we see all companies putting very good varieties out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)