AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats wrong with this corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rusty1
Posted 11/29/2012 05:48 (#2722809 - in reply to #2713702)
Subject: Re: Whats wrong with this corn

South Australia
Great conversation thank you.

Jim the coulters are solid mount with 3 holes to mount the coulter for different depths. I have thought about clearing the row but I definately don't want 8", it would be good if something would clear 1".
There was virtually no hairpinning at planting, it was warm and dry and it cut very well.

Matt pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as our conditions go, makes me wonder why I'm even trying but anyways. With our long hot summers there is probably no rush to plant but I do like to get the corn planted as early as possible to make the most of spring moisture before the dryness of summer kicks in and to try and get tasselling happening by new year. The greatest chance of extreme heat is in Jan/Feb so if I can pollinate before then all the better. But it's no good having issues from cold soil so maybe I need to bemore careful of the 2 week forecast when planting and if there is cool weather coming I should hold off. Last year I planted 2 lots a week apart and the second field over took the first.

I am already using keeton seed firmers but maybe some spiked closers would also be of benifit.
Matt, what is your thoughts on 2x2 fertiliser placement? unit or frame mounted fert coulters?

Thanks, Russell.

I will also add, I don't expect to grow that much cover every year. in a dryish season we may not plant a cover and go straight into a wheat stubble. This year we had good stored moisture and a good unseasonal rain in early March, Gabe Brown visited at the time and convinced us to plant a cover and it worked very well.
The vetch emerged mid march and it didn't rain again until late May, neighbors were hand feeding livestock and couldn't believe we wouldn't graze the vetch, I think they nearly cried when I sprayed it out in July when it was 2 feet tall.
We had a very wet june/july then a very dry Aug/Sept which put pressure on grainfill in our wheat etc. When I planted the corn first week of Oct people said "I guess you want a rain so your corn germinates" and they were shocked when I said "No, it's already germinated the soil is wet to the top"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)