AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats wrong with this corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 11/27/2012 19:29 (#2720170 - in reply to #2719834)
Subject: RE: Whats wrong with this corn - degree of row cleaning

Jim - 11/27/2012 14:37

Matt,

Dwayne Beck uses a bit of row cleaning in somewhat similar conditions. One benefit of using a row cleaner is avoiding hairpinning a lot of that massive residue cover in the seed slot.

I agree that in the original poster's Australian conditions he probably does NOT want the 8 or 10" wide cleared strip we are looking for in much of the US corn belt.  Frankly that is not hardly possible in that heavy vetch, as I described above.

I will stand by my point that a small amount of row cleaning would very likely improve the OP's corn stand, if all else is equal. With our 1572 combo he could raise the row cleaners to achieve the desired result of more uniform seed depth and minimal hairpinning without a big wide black strip being left.  We do it all the time (although without the cutting coulter needed for vetch) especially in 2nd crop beans into wheat in E KS.

Jim at Dawn

The climate that Russell faces is completely different from Dwayne Beck's in central SD.  Russell's growing season is a couple months longer, and therefore he has no reason whatsoever to push for early planting of corn in a heavy stubble.  Russell's growing season for corn is warmer and somewhat drier also.  All of which make it a bad idea to move much (if any) stubble from the row area.

I'm rather doubtful that any row cleaner (except maybe the Yetter Sharktooth) would go thru that mat of vetch residue anyway.

What he needs is very good seed firming with an in-furrow mechanism (Keeton or seed-lock wheel), and very good breakage of the sidewalls with spoked closing wheels.  And more fertilizer!  ;-)

sincerely,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)