AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats wrong with this corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 11/24/2012 09:01 (#2713841 - in reply to #2713702)
Subject: RE: Whats wrong with this corn

EC Nebraska
Initial thoughts:
The corn is showing a lot of deficiencies. Most of them are probably because of slow growth, it just doesn't have the root system yet to explore for nutrients even if they are out there. The only thing that for sure would have helped that would be more starter in furrow. Not just more NPK, you probably want Zn and Mn in there too, probably a quart of chelated liquid of each.

The reason the winter waterlogged areas are showing it the worst is because the lack of oxygen for long periods reduced your beneficial soil microbe population. Corn really benefits from certain microbes to help the roots forage for nutrients, and the wet areas just don't have enough.

IMPORTANT: Did that urea get rained in within two days? Was it treated with a urease inhibitor? If the answer is no for both, then you lost a lot of N to volatilization. The heavy residue mat speeds up the process. If untreated urea didn't get rained in within two weeks, it could all evaporate.

If you have lost a lot of N, Do you have access to AMS (ammonium sulfate, 21-0-0, 24)? Spreading 150 kg/ha would help a LOT. It won't volatilize like urea, and the sulfur will help under the residue mat.

I don't think I'd change your planting methods. You did a great job planting. That residue mat will hold moisture beautifully later in the season. Even if you could get something that worked without plugging, clearing the row will just make places to lose moisture. You just need to adjust your fertility program to compensate for the cooler soils.
You could bump your population up some, but that depends on your expected rainfall. I wouldn't go over 20,000 unless you get a lot of rain.

Edited by NE Ridger 11/24/2012 09:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)