AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old receipt of Grand-dad's for selling lambs in 1911
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/24/2012 05:44 (#2713674)
Subject: Old receipt of Grand-dad's for selling lambs in 1911

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
I can't sleep tonight, so I thought I would post this. Dad brought me a copy of my great grand-dad's receipts for selling sheep in Kansas City in 1911. It's hard to read, but I thought some might like to see it. He had two rail cars from Wasatch, UT. ( just west of Evanston, Wy.) to Kansas. It looks as if lambs were bringing 5 1/4 cents per pound. Culls 2 1/4 cents per pound. Looks as if they charged 20% commission to me, if I read it right.

Dad gave me some of my great grand-dad's ledger books, as I was the only one in the family that values those kind of things. Heck I can't even buy a 500 gal. tank of gas for what he got for his sheep that year! I remember my dad telling me about how they went broke in the depression, lost their land for taxes. But my grand-dad was able to buy it back. Dad tells me the story about when great grand-dad pulled up to sheep camp with two of his boys herding for him. He gave them a sack of potatoes, told them that's all they had left, they were broke! My dad's uncle replied that's ok, we've got mutton, and we can fish & hunt. We will be okay.

Well they all came out of it, was able to buy land back. They all lead successful lives. I remember my grandpa telling about how in the 60's the local bank went under and tied all his money up. He was finally able to get his money back, after that he spread his money out into over 5 banks. He never trusted them. I hope I can learn from them, and pray I never have to endure times like they did.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 11/24/2012 05:51

(Joseph Boyer Sheep Sold (604 x 800).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Joseph Boyer Sheep Sold (604 x 800).jpg (48KB - 176 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)