AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage Bag users, how do you load feed out of bag?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 11/23/2012 16:28 (#2712744 - in reply to #2712652)
Subject: Re: Silage Bag users, how do you load feed out of bag?

I do it the same as you, pauperspassion. We are feeding silage out of 9' bags and when using the skidloader I just do one side and then the other. I don't worry about the middle. Take care of the sides and the middle will take care of itself. On the haylage bags using a backhoe or 6210 JD with a loader, it is much harder. On those I take buckets out of the middle(starting with the bucket tipped down where I can see the edge) or just a little to the side and as often as needed get out and dress up the edges. I usually just pick up the plastic and kind of flip it like you would the sheets on your bed and keep it worked in that way. I have also figured out NOT to cut the plastic back too far on haylage. If you do and you get off center that side blows out and then you are screwed. Haylage is a pain but we only use 3-4 buckets a day.

Another technique I have seen is to take the bucket and loosen the feed from the top down so you have a pile of loose feed to load out of. I prefer my technique but you might try loosening the feed and then loading in the manner I described until you get a feel for it. I have enough practice I can have maybe 2-3 scoop shovels of loose silage and the rest is a vertical wall of silage just as the bagger packed it about 80% of the time.

Another tip is to keep the plastic on the bottom long enough that your tires on on it. If you have a lot of wind you can put a couple rocks or something on to keep it back that far without the wind folding it up(or if you aren't carefull about keeping the silage pushed up you'll have 2" of silage on it to keep it down). With your tires on it when you are pushing to load the silage "should" slide on the bag and you can get most of it in corn silage and a lot of it in haylage.

I hope this helps.

MIke
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)