AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Residue decomp....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

loran
Posted 11/23/2012 11:00 (#2712317)
Subject: Residue decomp....

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
In a couple of post recently this seems to be a hot topic....and has been focal point of mine for a good while now.

Years ago, I started reasoning where we drove while combining resulted in the stalks disentagrating faster.... So I started putting the StalkStompers on every row....to mimic that. I put heavier springs and everything to get the desired result.....never quite got there.

Then, I decide to grind the stalks up more.......added Calmer BT choppers..... Got closer, but still not 100% happy especially the later in the season we got.....

This yr, I did an about face......went to a 12r head to slow the combine down and let the knife rolls do their job......and added a Rolling Stalk Chopper to the arsenal. Yes it's an extra trip.....but it sure seems simpler then the high Dollar/high maintaince True Stalk chopper heads....

My goal this fall was within 24hrs of the combine.....the field would be flat.... As seen here--

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then ideally, I'd let it mat down.....before stripping. But this is the first strips I made this fall to get thing dialed in......I was impressed....

I had time yesterday to stop back and get a follow up pic......same strip, other end of the field...

I think it's working.....

Here's a few videos.....for those that would rather see action shots....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7TlfWYELPI&list=UUAajebgFfjFEPZSeyv...

And stripping...later in the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbvEtCV-PeM&list=UUAajebgFfjFEPZSeyv...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)