AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Repairs that cost as much as the value of the piece?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 11/23/2012 10:38 (#2712272 - in reply to #2712193)
Subject: RE: Repairs that cost as much as the value of the piece?

Iowa
I don't think there is a thing wrong with repairing something even if the repairs exceed it's market value, but you must realize that on vehicles you are gambling you won't have a serious wreck that "totals" it out--you're gonna get book value plus MAYBE a LITTLE bit more--but that's not a bad gamble. Most people probably have 20 vehicles or more in their lifetime and maybe "total" 1. I take that risk every day, anyway, if the accident is my fault, because I don't buy collision insurance, only liability.

I had a chore tractor that needed $7500 of repairs (engine and transmission done here at home). I could buy another one for about that--but it would also have a lot of hours on it and might fail in the same manner the day after I bought it. So I repaired it and used it trouble-free for ten more years.

At least if I fix my old one, I know what I've got, and its WAY cheaper than upgrading to something new or new enough to be fairly trouble-free with some degree of certainty. The "current" or "market" value enters into my decision only as a passing thought--the real question I ask is, "Is it worth it to me to do this repair? Will the repaired machine do what I need and will that be more cost-effective than buying something else?"

I don't want a "spare" setting around junking up the place. I'd rather be proud of my farmstead even if it means buying a few extra parts once in a while.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)