AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/Calf herd feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

necaseih
Posted 11/21/2012 22:40 (#2710084)
Subject: Cow/Calf herd feeding

SC Nebraska
We currently have a small cow/calf herd ~140 pairs, give or take in any year. Run them on grass during summer. Graze cornstalks in the fall. Trying out grazing some rye and other crops in the early spring.

My biggest question is what do other cow/calf guys feed during the winter? For us would be mid December or so through first part of March, obviously depending on the weather. We currently feed sudan, brome grass, occasionally some alfalfa bales. All big round bales, fed in bale rings or bale feeders. Supplement with protein tubs. It seems to me this is a horribly inefficient method, and quite wasteful with hay. We don't have a feed mixer or bale processor or anything like that.

I would appreciate any ideas suggestions on the best methods available, and what others are doing. I have browsed old threads and seen some ideas.

Take it easy on me as I am by far more of a farmer than a cattleman, but trying to learn and increase efficiency with our cattle herd. Thanks!

EDIT--I should have added we generally calve in mid March, wean in the fall. Calves are sold then. Also kind of kicking around the idea of feeding calves, but that is another story for another day.

Edited by necaseih 11/21/2012 22:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)