AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/Calf herd feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 11/23/2012 15:23 (#2712667 - in reply to #2712001)
Subject: Re: Cow/Calf herd feeding

Columbia City, Indiana
mccoyranch - 11/23/2012 07:54

I have come to a few conclusions. Your feed acres must be a by product of your crop rotation, or you must get more than one use out of those acres if strictly for cows. I don't like confining cows to be fed because you cut raked baled hauled processed feed for them to eat and then you have a pile of manure to load haul and spread back on the field that you took the feed off. .

I agree with most of what you said. I feed baled cornstalks to my cows for most of the winter, but I'm starting to think it's better to drylot them and feed them the bales in rings because they're pretty hard on the ground wherever I put the rings or bale wagon, and that ground needs to produce grass for next year. I grazed a field of cornstalks and really made them clean it up for the first time this year, they really did an amazing job on the small field. My 24 cows and bull pretty much slicked up an entire 15 acre field of cornstalks in about 5 weeks, except for the bottom of the stalk sticking in the ground that the combine left, and I want that there to help limit erosion as much as possible. I'm planning to put that field back to corn next year so it's on a different rotation than the bigger field that is located conveniently for grazing corntalks. This way I'll have a field of cornstalks to put them on every year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)