AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cow/Calf herd feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

KRM
Posted 11/23/2012 14:15 (#2712579 - in reply to #2712001)
Subject: Re: Cow/Calf herd feeding

NC Kansas
Does anyone use ground hay trailers?? We tub grind mixes of cane/grass/alfalfa for our main feed source all winter. We start calving in mid February and we'll grind some better hay for the pairs as the calves start get 2-3 weeks old. Also as the weather turns bad during peak calving we'll have the pairs seperated for most part so we can pull the trailers in at night for the ones calving and pull them out in the morning...making them more likely to calve during the day.

I know hay trailers aren't cheap and if you have 3 or 4 or more then you get as much money in them as feed wagon but they also don't cost much to maintain and if you are handy you can make/modify some older trailers into ground hay feed trailers. We just feel like grinding is a great way to get them to eat the poor stuff and also manage hay that might be high in nitrates.

We are in NC Kansas, take advantage of corn/milo stalks when it works out, work in some cover crop grazing, when the weather holds out we don't feed much until about christmas. I just can't think of a reason to feed round bales any other way. Oh yeah we have a few rings and we have a bale bed on an old pick up and that all works in a pinch or for specific reasons but to minimize waste and feed a good mix of roughages I can't think of a better way.

I should say we have never raised/fed silage of any kind, maybe we don't know what we are missing but our cows haven't complained...yet
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)