AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need guidnace on turning corn stover into compost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DennisZ
Posted 11/22/2012 09:16 (#2710487 - in reply to #2709351)
Subject: RE: I need guidnace on turning corn stover into compost

Alentejo, Portugal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9k7zNe0is

My cousin has a business in Holland that does nothing else than making compost and selling it. He is in flowerbulb area and farmers nowadays reuse all of their rest material (straw used to cover the bulbs in the winter to avoid them from freezing, the plant rests, the flowers, and when they are done harvesting and sorting them the bulbs that are not used to plant next year and the ones that cannot be sold) to cut in buying fertiliser/manure. All of this is put into large windrows either on the farms itself, to be reused on the farm, or on my cousins yard, to be sold back to other farmers. He used to have a tracked machine that he uses to go to those farms and turn those windrows into compost in a couple of weeks. They put some special bacteria in it to speed up the process, and they monitor the temperature of these windrows. It needs to get to a certain temperature (hot!) to kill weed seeds but may not exceed a certain temperature to avoid the loss of nutrients. The compost is also used in the summer when the fields are drilled with a cover crop to avoid wind blowing away the soils (remember Holland is flat!) He now has this self propelled rig that he uses. Road legal, and saves a truck to haul a tracked machine around... When he comes to the windrows, he just turns the wheels into working position and goes to work! (My cousin is the bold chap in the red sweather)

Edit: here is another video of the machine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3wKlx-Nes&feature=player_detailpag...

Edited by DennisZ 11/22/2012 09:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)