AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help understanding Feeding out cattle.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

buckeyefarmer
Posted 11/21/2012 21:22 (#2709910 - in reply to #2709274)
Subject: RE: Help understanding Feeding out cattle.

nw oh
When I figure feeding our calf fed holsteins of that size I figure 6 lbs of corn/lb of gain, then about 4 lbs of Wet Cake distillers/lb of gain, mineral at about $0.11/day. So, I have a rough feed cost of $750 for corn, $180 for Wet Cake $37 for mineral. For a feed cost of $967. These are very conservative numbers that keep me out of trouble. The groups we feed do not normally eat this much. But, if the group makes money with these figures then I am sure to stay in business for the next group.

$415 for the feeder and $967 for feed. Gives you $1382.

If that is the best selling price you can get for the fat steer then I would not be doing it. If you can feed groups in multiples of 35-40, you can get a contract with a packer and control the price paid to you. We sell to JBS in Plainwell, MI and our contract is $7.00-$7.50 below the CME for holsteins. After trucking and deductions and premiums it ranges from $9.00 to $6.00 below the CME. I always figure $9.00 to stay on the safe side.

So, if you put those in today you would want to figure 11 months. That puts you into an October or November contract month, the CME today for October is $133.90. That gives you a rough selling price of $124.90. And a gross sale of $1749. Leaves you $367 for labor, buildings, death loss, vet, interest, bedding. I personally would do it for that all year long and then build another barn to do more the next year.

My dad and I made a spreadsheet to figure profit and loss that includes labor, buildings, death loss, vet and interest to get a total cost of gain and an overall profit. I hope to average sales to $100.00 after everything. Been averaging that the last couple of years. This year I need the fat market to do a little more work.

This seems to work for us to this point.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)