AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Increasing bean yields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

crabbynuggets
Posted 11/21/2012 11:16 (#2709232)
Subject: Increasing bean yields

I'm in eastern SD.

I've got a big field of corn stalks that averaged 101 across the field with the drought this year.

It'll be beans next year and I have a 787/1850 JD air seeder. I've been planting 1.6 beans and have had trouble getting above 40 when my neighbors are making 45-50 and up. I'm jealous. I don't get my beans in very early. Usually around June 1st. This year it was no-till on baled corn stalks and the year before it was on disked corn stalks.

I'm gonna fertilize next year and want a minimum of 45. They have cows grazing on them now, so I won't have as much trash to deal with. I have a DMI 530b disk ripper, JD 331 disk (a POS that is pretty much ready to be cut up for scrap), a JD 1600 chisel plow, and a Wil Rich 2500 FC.

What fertilizer blend should I put on? What tillage should I use in the spring? Would I want to just disk the fertilizer in? Disk then field cultivate? Just field cultivate? Will that particular FC go through chewed up stalks?

Any other tips?

BTW I am absolutely gonna try to get my beans in two weeks earlier than I had before, no more of this June 1st business.

Edited by crabbynuggets 11/21/2012 11:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)