AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops vs Fall burndowns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

west illini
Posted 11/20/2012 23:23 (#2708558)
Subject: Cover crops vs Fall burndowns

IL
I have been doing alot of contemplating of what direction I want to go in the future, this fall.
I like what the new CC's can do for us thru the fall until spring planting. BUT, still get concerns about being " clean and ready" for spring planting. See, for the first time, I went the route of fall burndowns this year, to get ahead of winter annuals for my spring strip till ( stripped into weedy areas, and the corn plants still showed the stress of the previous weed crop, yellowing) Therefore, I wanted a weed free seedbed for spring.
(spring down.... I did a couple fields ahead of stripping, and the wheel tracks casued very poor seedbeds).

Which gets me to my discussion..... growth free fields ahead of spring vs covercrops.
I like the way tillage radishes can do their job in the fall, then just "die away". I can also see the benefit of ealier seeded rye grass, and its rootmass. I am just concerned about getting it killed soon enough ahead of planting , or at least corn. Personally, I despise planting into sprayer wheeltracks
Radishes alone look to be the ticket on any fields going to corn.

Also, what effect do these CC's have AGAINST winter annuals?

In summery....... clean fields from fall burndown vs covercrops

Edited by west illini 11/21/2012 08:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)