AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pocket knives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/20/2012 03:37 (#2707069 - in reply to #2706775)
Subject: RE: Pocket knives

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
My boys have all been trained to pack a knife from early age, but I've also harped they aren't to be taken to school. If by chance they messed up and took one to school, I've told them to leave it in pants or take it to car. Just don't get caught with it. I also harp to keep them sharp!

I will touch a knife up some mornings before leaving house. I'm so glad that my neighbor packs a whetstone in his pocket, we were fencing horseback one day. My horse blowed up, we had a wreck. Well I hit heads with horse and skinned all my skin off my upper lip. Neighbor trimmed the skin off my lips, I never felt it just like a surgeon.

When I served on the school board, I don't know how many times I had to meet and try and keep a kid in school after he got expelled for a weapons violation for having a pocket knife. There was only one kid that threatened another student with a knife, he meant it as a joke but we expelled him for a year. All others were just bone headed and forgot they had their farm pocket knife with them.

It got so frequent that kids did it one year it was getting a joke, and I was getting tired of driving 60 miles to meet and then a couple hour meeting every time. The school resource officer was kind of looking and pushing to nail the kids. It got so bad as what constituted an illegal knife ( blade length) that resource officer was measuring at pivot point of blade. I blowed up and said we might as just as well put our manhood's on the table and measure them! It was just a way to justify the officer in school thing.

There wasn't any ill intent with the boys and their knifes, just farm kids forgetting to leave them at home after doing chores in the morning.

Don't get me wrong I respect the school resource officer, but I felt things have gotten carried way. I just wish the school administration could kick a kids butt, take knife and hold it and give to parent or hold it till the end of the year and give back to student if they passed their grade that year. I see were all this federal rules have come from, like after the Columbine school shootings. I really feel school administration should be the ones to make the call, they know their kids if they are a trouble maker or just a brain dead farm kid.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)