AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pocket knives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/20/2012 01:30 (#2707052 - in reply to #2706775)
Subject: RE: Pocket knives

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Today's society makes it more difficult to carry a knife and be politically correct.  I still carry a knife, but it is a smaller one than I carried all my life.  Years ago we took my Daughter to see Ronald Regan speak at the Illinois State Fair ground.  She was about 4 or 5, but I wanted her to say she had seen him.  I wasn't thinking, and took my rather large lock blade knife that I used to cut twine out of the baler, cut hogs, and cut up an apple to eat.  (just a joke, but I know people who have done that without thinking)

I never thought about a metal detector, but went through one on the way to the bleachers.  I put my knife, along with other pocket contents, in a tub for examination as I went through the metal detector.  Security got wide-eyed at the knife, and looked at the farmer that was carrying it.  He quickly said, "keep that in your pocket".  Today nobody would get by with that, and even I would not carry a knife to such an event.

I had a very excited 7th grader come up to me during class break when I was teaching, and pull out his new knife.  I quickly turned away, explaining that if I saw that knife I would have to take it from him.  Something must have happened later, and ten years after a janitor I was baling for gave me the same lock-back, saying he found it in the boiler room.  He said I could keep it, and I planned to return it to the student if I ever remembered who he was.  It wasn't unusual when I was in school for a student to show off his new hunting rifle to others in school and then take it home, with every teacher and administrator knowing he had it and it wasn't a threat to anyone.  Sounds shocking to say that today.    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)