AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody interested building their own computer for the holidays?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/19/2012 18:23 (#2706242)
Subject: Anybody interested building their own computer for the holidays?

It makes a great family workshop activity, building your own or your kids computer with them.
It's fun, pretty straightforward, gives a great self-satisfaction feeling, and once you've dug inside the beast and touched all the dirty parts and components, the computer is not half as scary anymore.

There's also a huge choice of form factors from a silent home theater PC to a monster gaming rig, a gigantic choice of components for every need and then some. With the right choice of components and manufacturers, it also makes very reliable computers. I built my computers from parts for the past 20 years, the last one lasted 6 years, 3 on Vista, 3 on Windows 7. Not sure yet if I'll repair it or build a new one.

PC computers are so modular that they can easily be upgraded over time. I added more memory to mine, another internal hard drive, a multicard reader (for camcorder SD cards), USB 3.0 and SATA III adapters when I needed external hard drives and a new SSD drive, the best upgrade I ever made since I started building PCs. There are other components that I haven't tried but seem fun and useful, like mini meteorology station kits.

And I promise these technical terms and acronyms take only a minute each to learn, and then you can forget all about them after you spec'd your computer.

Black Friday is this week, so there might be interesting deals to grab for components.
It's the perfect time to get started and the best way to learn and soon talk blasé about them puters.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)