AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If it rained, what would happen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 11/19/2012 11:16 (#2705841 - in reply to #2705664)
Subject: Re: If it rained, what would happen?

In '64 -'66 I lived in Allen Texas. One morning I got up to a big white cloud on the next hill to the south, the location of a country elevator between Allen and Plano. I had good visibility generally on clear days I could see the downtown Dallas skyline 16 or 20 miles distant.

As I prepared to drive to work down the North Central Expressway, it was blocked off. So I took the old road a mile east. That cloud on the ground was ammonia from four big tanks. A fitting had broken and vented them all. There wasn't much wind and when I passed the fields a mile east the cattle were eying the fence ready to accept any barbed wire damage to escape. The fire department dissolved all that vapor in water essentially washing the ammonia out of the air. That killed the grass in the fields it covered. When it was all cleared they found a car along the expressway and one body in the median where someone had driven in, the car quit and that driver tried to walk out. Ammonia vapor is heavy so it sits on the ground and is deadly so its not something to treat "lightly."

That ammonia cloud was close to a mile across. Fortunately everyone who lived or worked in the area it covered got out quickly enough except for the driver on the expressway.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)