AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grazing stalks, corn on corn and tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/20/2012 00:41 (#2707035 - in reply to #2705297)
Subject: RE: grazing stalks, corn on corn and tillage

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I'm in a bit of a different situtation grazing standing corn. I take the steers off of the corn ground to the processors in early April, run an Aerway over it the past 2 years as soon as the steers are gone, then spring Pluribus strip till applying 28%, hopefully in early May and plant right after stripping.

I have had good luck without the Aerway but do see hoof compaction in the cattle lanes back to water due to my layout. The Aerway pokes holes in these compacted lanes without turning the soil over nor bringing up many of my plentiful rocks. This system has worked well in grazed continuous corn - at least up to this year when I was super late planting, just in time for the drought and heat. ...next year I will be more timely with the corn....next year....

There was really no need for the Aerway when I was getting the cattle off of the grazed corn ground before the frost went out.  Leaving them on until April as I do now, there were definitely compacted lanes. The Aerway does take care of them. Steers may come off corn earlier and to the sale barn this coming spring, except for family beef.

fwiw. Jim

Edited by Jim 11/20/2012 00:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)