AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are Brands for sale?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

coochief
Posted 11/18/2012 23:34 (#2705262 - in reply to #2703491)
Subject: RE: Why are Brands for sale?

SE MT

Brands are a necessity in MT if you run cattle,  but like said above they are kinda a fad also with all the tourist buying ranchettes and needing one for notoriety..      Brands give the wantabees something to get there place named after, put logos on there belt buckles, show/conversation peices, then if they buy the brand they can make up some history to go with it,  etc...                
     MT has about 54,000 registered brands,  always some forsale but the good one and two iron ones that don't blotch are hard to come by.    Not uncommon to see them in the 5-10K range but couldn't believe my eyes some bonehead had one listed for 75,000 in an ag mag not long ago.      I have a K lazy K on the hip you can brand a calf easily with one iron if they are hot.    But actually I prefer a rib brand.     Cattle grow from there withers and if you brand a heifer calf by the time she is mature they have a nice large readable rib brand,  also Im partial to a left brand.  Most folks around here set up there corrals to be on the brand side.     Only a couple of the older outfits that have brands that are Blanketed (all positions). 
    Brother has an lazy  S on the left rib, other brother has a Cross on the left shoulder (hate the location of the cross brand though) these are nice at branding.   They are also for horses too,   I also have a 3 on the Jaw of a horse, brother has a J too.   
    Lot of the real old larger outfits have multi digit brands and I think the reason why is so some yahoo couldn't steal there cattle and add on to the brand. 
    Great question!   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)