AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plow Day - Kimballton Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 11/18/2012 04:43 (#2703377)
Subject: Plow Day - Kimballton Iowa

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Another day of plowing with the old rigs. And this time one not so old, and pretty good sized to boot.

Kimballton is about 70 miles west of me on good old 44. About ten miles north of the 50 mile marker on I-80.

The host was Ken Hansen who had his Oliver 990 with the 3-71 General Motors Diesel. Lots of power - Lots of noise!!
Also son Cory was there with the Hansen's early Oliver 1800 diesel.

Three or four Allis-Chalmers tractors, including a good A-C collector friend of my brothers. He was there with his D-19. It was about as close a twin to the D-19 I had in the mid 1960s. I should have made a round with it.

A Minni Mo, don't know the model. It was a LP burner, 1940s or early 50s.

It seemed like most of the tractors there had plows that would have not too much load back in their day. I bet big old plows are getting hard to find. Too many have been cut up.
But one rig was sized just like it would have been in 1950. A Farmall H with a 2-14" plow. A very nice running outfit.

Only one John Deere, a model 60. The fellow was having problems with his plow, and only made one round. I think the moldboards need some polish.

Host farmer Ken is an Oliver collector. This year Ken was able to find and purchase a pretty good sized White plow, ten bottoms, 0f 20" cut each. Not very many of them made.

The plow is pull type and in two sections. The front section, six bottom in this case, has a 3-point hitch at the rear. Then a common in-furrow semi-mount plow is hitched to the 3-point. Ken's plow has a 4 by 20" on the back, for a total of 10 by 20" or 200" or 16'-8".

I think it is the biggest plow I have ever seen in person. I know it is the biggest plow I have ever seen plowing.
Ken plowed some with the other tractors. But then went to another area all by himself.
A White 4-270 in front, that rig can move some dirt.

Thanks to Ken for putting on the event, and for the 4-270 with a 10 - 20" plow ride.
I told him he needs to take that 4-20" model 588 off of the back and put my 6-20" model 588 on. That would be a full 20' of plow.

(DSC01119.jpg)

(DSC01154.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01119.jpg (74KB - 328 downloads)
Attachments DSC01154.jpg (61KB - 309 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)