AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage Radish vers Oil Seed Radish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/18/2012 14:28 (#2704088 - in reply to #2702620)
Subject: Re: Tillage Radish vers Oil Seed Radish

Whether it's a brand or a variety, if definitely comes from forage (or feed) radish: Its large pivot root and foliage mass is definitely forage radish, not oil seed radish.
The root is white, like daikon radish, but I doubt forage radish came from daikon, it looks much more like one of these forage crops like forage beet, forage turnip or forage cabbage that have been around for centuries. The "black" radish is a selection that has been mentioned in Europe since 1548, for instance. It looks like humans have been selecting this plant for many centuries. Daikon shows similarities, but possibly because of a similar selection and maybe hybridization with local varieties. Agronomists are starting to study the DNA of plants to look at their "genealogy" and origins, so we will probably know more once they start studying radish.

My questions, ever since I heard of tillage radish: Is it just an overpriced hyped-up form of forage radish, so it can be patented or branded like Steve said? Can cheap forage radish be substituted instead? (After all, it's just a cover crop.) What are really the differences with forage radish? As I understand, forage radish has the same properties (pivot roots to aerate the soil and let spring melted snow in, natural herbicide, anti-nematodes, etc.)

Edit: Black radish picture. Can't find any around, do you grow it?

Edited by Chimel 11/18/2012 14:33

(Black radish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Black radish.jpg (68KB - 133 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)